Re: The Linux eternal problem with reading CD/DVDs... and every damn anything else like broken GRUB!!

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:02 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> >From time to time, I have serious problems with reading data DVD
> disks. Now, I try to copy a file from a mounted (automatically) disk
> to the Desktop (KDE), and the the process is stalled for ages, with no
> progress. Any ideas? When will Linux reach the MS Windows' performance
> regarding CD/DVDs?
>
> Thanks in advance,

If you have sata drives and your dvd was recognized as /dev/sda or sdb
or whatever, be looking for messages regarding /dev/hd? which seems to
be creeping in. For the longest time, sata drives had problems, now they
work really good, so someone has to bugger them back to not running so
good. My dvd movies are now jerky as hell, which really jerks me off in
kind. I wish they would leave that which works, alone! when there is so
much other broken stuff to contend with.

Here's the wayward4now maxim:

-"Power and Authority has an equal and attendant amount of
Responsibility."-

Feel free to quote that to your grandkids, you read it here first.

So, Fedora Reps. Please leave the kernel drive changes alone until such
time as a complete Fedora Installation warrants the changes. It's
SCREWING UP MY SYSTEM!
Ric

rant #2

What happened to /boot/grub?
Mine disappeared off of the drive. I was looking in /etc when I noticed
the brown blinking broken link to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Damn thing was
gone. I looked!! I looked at the Big Board! CRM-114 Discriminator
problem again. So, I removed the 2157 kernel with rpm -e --nodeps,
re-installed it via yum install. The rpm -e'd  my nVidia stuff and
reinstalled it again. Booted perfectly. What gives here folks? Somewhere
in the packages or that damn webcam thingie, something broke. Ripping
out the kernel by the spinal cord got rid of anything weird.
Re-installing pristine, make it all better. Beats the living hell out of
me WHY, but that is the how, according to my perceptions.

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/