Re: strange directory problem

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 13:24 +0800, Kelvin Cheung wrote:
> hello,erverbody.
> I met a strange problem. When creat a directory with all letters
> capitalized, the system will turn it into all small letters.
>
> [root@localhost doc]# mkdir DOC
> [root@localhost doc]# ls
> doc
>
> This often make mistakes when I compile programs.
> Please help me, thanks very much.

Three things come to mind (in order of decreasing likelihood).

1) Is it an unusual (eg. Windows-centric) filesystem you are creating
the directory on? It may not be a filesystem that supports case-senstive
filenames. To test, try the same thing on an ext3 filesystem.

2) I think there is a shell variable that can cause this. However, after
having a look, it would appear the variable (nocaseglob) is only
relevant to shell globs for files, so should not affect a default "ls".

3) Maybe something bizarre to do with LANG or LOCALE settings? Does it
occur for mixed-vase directories? Eg. mkdir MIXEDcase; ls

Cheers, Ben

Ben Stringer ===== ben@xxxxxxxxxxx