Re: latest updates don't boot

tomhorsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:

I haven't had time to do much investigation on this yet, but last night I genned FC5
from the DVD, it came up OK, then I downloaded all the latest updates which
got me to 2.6.17-1.2157 and now the boot never seems to finish - it just stops
printing messages really early (possibly around the time it normally switches
to the graphical boot which I hadn't yet turned off). The disk doesn't seem to
be running anymore and a reasonable amount of waiting didn't change anything.
It isn't totally frozen - I can still hit return, and the cursor moves down one line,
and Ctrl-Alt-Del reboots it.

Sound familiar to anyone?
If you search the list archive of the last 1 or 2 weeks: yes. Reports about hanging boot at nash. There are bugzilla tickets about it.

I plan to boot in rescue mode and set the runlevel to 3 and turn off the graphical
boot and see if there is anything useful laying around in dmesg or the X log.
Anything else be good to poke?

This is on a asus P4C800-E with the disk on the onboard promise controller
(the faster intel sata ports are already used up with another OS).
Do you use dm-raid?

Alexander