Re: headlest setup

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 18:36 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Frank Cox writes:
> > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:45:43 -0400
> > Packet Xchange <packetxchange@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >    As soon as I disable the video card
> > > fedora does not boot nor echos anything to the terminal console.
> >
> > Is there any particular reason why you can't just leave a video card in that
> > machine?  The mere fact that it has a video card installed doesn't mean that
> > you have to hook a monitor to it.
>

> But, isn't there a dummy video driver in the kernel stil? It's been
> awhile, but my old DEC Alph never had a video card and the 2.4.X kernels
> I was running then where happily working via the dummy driver.

I believe there's a video simulator in the old Alphas that shadowed
non-existent video hardware.  It was used in their cluster management
system.

To get past the headless stuff, you probably need to do several things.
First, get into your machine's BIOS and make sure the BIOS POST doesn't
stop booting if a keyboard isn't present (many do).  You probably also
want to modify the /etc/inittab so you boot to runlevel 2 or 3--don't
boot into runlevel 5 (X).  I'd also suggest making provisions for the
use of a serial console by appending

	console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

to the "kernel" line in grub.  This will allow you to use either a
normal, local console on the machine or a serial cable plugged into the
first serial port (COM1 for you DOSaphiles/Windowites out there).  The
extra parameters (",9600n8") specify 9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits,
1 stop bit.  Change as you see fit.