Re: remote power control

Tim:
>> Have you considered replacing the modem, first?

Tony Nelson:
> Though that is a possibility, it can also happen that the ATM Virtual
> Circuit is lost, even though the DSL connection is fine.
> Power-cycling the DSL modem will also restore the VC.  There may be a
> way to do this through commands to the modem, say telling it to
> disconnect and reconnect, but I don't know.

Many modem/routers have HTTP and telnet interfaces.  It can be possible
to script control them.  Or, if you have network access to them through
another route, manual remote control can be done.

You may find that some modems have better auto-reconnection features
after loss of networking.

But if this is a continual problem, I'd strongly suspect two things that
will only truly get fixed by replacement:  The modem, or the telco's
equipment for it in the exchange.

I read messages from the public lists.