Re: Netgear SC101 any one using one?

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 08:17 -0400, mindwave@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I bought mine about 6 months ago and netgear said then that they MAY
> be working on mac/linux drivers, but nothing yet.
>

> this is a NAS device that allows for RAIDING drives and appears to be
> using a proprietary formatting and a client side applet for accessing.

Hi J (interesting name)

The NetGear SC101 uses a proprietary Storage Area Networking protocol
from Zetera called Z-SAN (see:
http://www.zetera.com/newsevents/mediacoverage/oct05.html). It appears
that it only supports Windows (for the moment) and requires each Windows
system to install a driver and client software:

"To access the SC101, you need to install a driver and the Storage
Central Manager software. Once the driver is installed on your PC, the
Storage Central Manager scans your local network and finds your Storage
Central device. " -
http://storage.webbuyersguide.com/reviews/2925-wbgStorage_reviews.html

If you happen to have a Windows PC handy, you may want to install the
client software and driver on it and make it available on the network as
a shared drive from the Windows PC. That may make it accessible to Linux
systems. Just a suggestion (the paint fumes in my room may be making me
a little incoherent).

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur