Re: [Bulk] Re: Need help getting rid of a persistent Spammer?

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 19:35, William Case wrote:
> Thanks Roger;
>
> I have responded to you through the Fedora list.  Your advice may be
> helpful to others as well.
>
> On Sun, 2006-16-07 at 17:28 -0700, Roger Taranto wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 15:02, William Case wrote:
> > > Spamming is not a security issue I have studied.  Can anyone give me
> > > some suggestions on how I might go about eliminating this annoyance once
> > > and for all.
> >
> > Some thoughts:
> > 1.  Have you enabled Bayes in your spamassassin configuration?  It does
> > a good job with stuff where the text of the message is the same over and
> > over.
> > 2.  Have you enabled network tests?
> > 3.  Have you enabled Razor, DCC, and/or Pyzor?
> > 4.  Try asking on the spamassassin user's list for more suggestions:
> >
> > -Roger
>
> I will try all these suggestions, however, I am not sure what you mean
> by "network tests".  I don't want an in depth explanation at this point,
> but could you point me to some programs or utilities that I could read
> about in 'man' or 'info'?

Everything I listed all relates to SpamAssassin, so the documentation at
http://spamassassin.apache.org/index.html should be your first stop.  By
network tests, I mean RBLs (and their cousins), i.e., servers that
spamassassin can be configured to check against if you so desire (a good
thing, IMHO).  Setting that up, in addition to configuring and training
bayes and enabling Razor, etc., should all be described on the
spamassassin web site.

A few more notes: be careful training your bayes database, especially at
the beginning.  You may want to disable auto-learning until you've
manually trained at least the minimum amount of ham and spam.

Also, take a look at RulesDuJour, too.  There are a whole bunch of great
add-on rules at the Rules Emporium, http://www.rulesemporium.com, and
they can be kept up-to-date easily with the rulesdujour script.

Finally, join the spamassassin users list mentioned above.  Even lurking
you can learn lots of tricks; it's a very helpful list.

-Roger