Re: Problem booting OS on IDE PCI adaptor card with Grub in MBR of hda

On Sunday 16 July 2006 20:01, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 5:23 PM +0200 7/16/06, nigel henry wrote:
>
> >Hi Tim. My confusion was in not realising that Grub counted the harddrives
> >sequentially, ignoring how they were identified in /dev. This wasn't
> > helped by the fact that /dev/hda, and /dev/hdb, the first 2 harddrives,
> > were listed by Grub as (hd0), and (hd1), which at the time seemed to
> > confirm that Grub followed the listings in /dev. Logically then /dev/hde
> > is (hd4) right? No. Very wrong, and resulted in the long running argument
> > with Grub, with it constantly saying "no such disc" when I tried install
> > Grub in (hd4).
Hi Tony.

> Ask grub what it thinks the drives are, by starting a command and pressing
> the Tab key:
>
>     boot (<TAB>
>
> This can be done during boot or from the grub shell.  As root:
>
>     []# grub
>     grub> boot(<TAB>
slight typo above, should be
       grub> boot (<TAB>

Yeh, the command works fine, giving me hd0, hd1, and hd2. If I'd known that
before getting into that stalemate situation of trying to install Grub on the
non-existant hd4, it would have saved so much time. The problem, particularly
with bootloaders, whether Grub, or LiLo, is that normally you don't have to
mess with them. It's only when you start to get involved with multiple
installs, on more than one disk, that you need to learn a bit more about
them. Added to that, many man pages are not particularly easy to work with,
especially for newbies, and therefore the bootloader appears to be some sort
of "dark art", needing mysterious incantations to get it to work.

Personally, I'm always happy to learn more, and get my hands dirty under the
hood at the same time. the next thing is to set up a new list (pencil and
paper) of Grub commands.

I still think the drive map is incorrect for FC2's grub, installed in the MBR
of hda, although it's working ok.

# this device map was generated by anaconda
(fd0)     /dev/fd0
(hd0)     /dev/hda
(hd1)     /dev/hdb
(hd2)     /dev/hdc

I think I need to change the (hd2)     /dev/hdc  line to (hd2)   /dev/hde, as
hdc is the device for the cdwriter, and hde is the device name for the third
harddrive on the IDE PCI adaptor card. I'll try that later this evening.

Thanks for the command.

Nigel.