Re: Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2, 6 or 8

Despite that the three man pages (wvdial, wvdial.conf and wvdialconf) are not
very helpful, I have managed to make wvdial ppp0 work by adding to
/etc/wvdial.conf phone number, username and password entries of some of the ISPs
that I use, and then making more or less "random" changes (is this the "method"?).
Apparently wvdial is only "interested" in one ISP, and later on the entries of
the other ISPs were somehow removed.

After that, ifup/ifdown ppp0 began working, as well as activation in
system-config-network, when I have added the name of the ISP in wvdial.conf.

However, the error messages on boot:

"Bringing up interface ppp0: Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2"

and

"starting firestarter: Starting the Firestarter: ppp0: error fetching
interface information"

persist.

I have being watching /var/log/messages but I wonder what I should look
for here. Eg some error messages appear but they seem to me unrelated.

You say that error 2 means "no such device". How is that if this device works,
hence exists?

Regarding editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0, the documentation
available on the system: /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.11.1/sysconfig.txt is,
frankly, very poor and provides not even a clue on what changes should be done
to ifcfg-ppp0 to solve this problem.

Hence I ask for a more clear guidance. Also, a pointer to better documentation
would be mostly welcomed.

Regards, Alejandro

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org