Re: spca5xx freezes system

Hello all.  I'm fairly new at the driver thing, but I have a sloppy workaround that makes the driver work for the latest kernel (2.6.17-1.2157_FC5smp in my case) with a QuickCam Communicate STX.  I don't know why it works, I only know that is works.  Any input would be appreciated.

1.  Get the driver sources from

http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html

Unzip and navigate to the directory

2.  Add the line "DEFINES += -fno-unit-at-a-time" around line 29 in the Makefile

3.  As root, execute

    make clean
    make
    make install

4.  To load the module, execute

    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/spca5xx.ko

I tried it before with just modprobe, and I kept getting an error that there was an unknown parameter in the kernel module.  I found this while reverting to my old webcam (a regular QuickCam Communicate) and using the qc-usb-messenger driver.  It would work fine when I first compiled and loaded it, but after a reboot I also got the unknown parameter error.  I just added the insmod line /etc/rc.d/rc.local to have it execute at startup.

This makes the camera work with camstream and ekiga.  Vanity still won't detect it.  If this is a totally wrong solution that is messing/will mess up my system, please let me know.

Thanks,
Marco Turcios

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org