unable to su - to root or to any user on FC3

hey friends,

I ran short of space on my server FC3 today I installed 200 GB hard
disk on the server. Created new partitions and in init 1 level
transfer the data of /home and some other data partitions onto the new
hard disk.

I used cp -rvp  for copying the contents.

Everything is working fine except I can't su - to root or to any user.
I checked the logs in init 1 level it shows

pam_timestamp_check: pam_timestamp: '/' owner GID!=0

Than I chown root.root /

Now the above message is not coming but the below messages are there

unix_chkpasswd[4605]: password check for user(xxxxx)
mail su (pam_unix) [4604]: authentication failure: logname=uid=600
euid=600 tty = ruser=xxxx rhost = user=root

I am giving the correct password but I am not able to su -  where can
be the problem.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover