Re: how to resize partation

On Saturday, Jul 15th 2006 at 13:43 +0530, quoth Ankush Grover:

=>On 7/15/06, yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
=>> i have a one partation
=>>
=>> /dev/hda1  10 GB  5 GB(used)  5 GB(free)
=>> /dev/hda2  20 GB  7 GB(used)  13 GB(free)
=>>
=>> i want to resize partion such that
=>> /dev/hda1  15 GB  5 GB(used)  10 GB(free)
=>> /dev/hda2  15 GB  7 Gb(used)  8 GB(free)
=>>
=>hey,
=>
=>Somebody asked this before also here is the thread.
=>
=>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-May/msg02189.html

I need to explain something. The resizefs utility doesn't work. It may
work in some sort of highly rarified environment, but the fact is that it
won't even try on ext2 filesystems when the fs has flags in use that are
used by everyone. IOW, if the filesystem were to be created without any of
the flags then it might work. But the presence of the flags prevents the
use of the utility and files in the filesystem prevent the removal of the
flags.

So if you need to write in outerspace and you have a choice between
spending millions on a pen that can write in zero grav or just using a
pencil, I recommend a pencil. In yoge's case we have two partitions that
are contiguous. Take advantage of that fact: copy the files off, delete
the two partitions, and recreate them the way you want them. Yes, I'm
assuming that neither of them are boot partitions.