Re: vgetty and USB modems

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 14:49 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I am building what amounts to a fancy answering machine.  I have three modems,
> one Diamond Supra that's serial only and two USR modems that have both serial
> and USB port.  The ultimate objective is to use the Diamond to receive fax
> calls and the USR's to receive voice calls.
>
> When I put one of the USR modems on the serial port, a
> file /var/log/vgetty.log.ttyS0 is created and it works great.
>
> When I put the Diamond modem on ttyS0 and the USR modems on USB connections,
> they show up as ttyACM0 and ttyACM1.  I can control them fine using minicom.
> But I have been playing around with voice.conf all afternoon and having exactly
> zero luck getting it to talk to those modems on the USB ports.
>
> I have been working with this line:
>
> voice_devices ttyACM0:ttyACM1
>
> I have put into various parts of voice.conf, starting with the vm section, then
> in generic and everywhere else that I thought it might work.
>
> Every time I boot the computer, vgetty initializes the modem on ttyS0, even if
> I don't have ttyS0 listed in voice.conf at all.  It never hits ttyACM0 or
> ttyACM1.  There is no log file created that references ttyACM0 or 1 in any way
> that I can see, and the lights on those modems never flash.
>
> So, what am I doing wrong here?

/etc/inittab is what's responsible for starting getty processes on
terminals (and consoles).  For example, if you comment out the line:

	1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

and restart init, you will NOT have a text console on ALT-F1 anymore.
So, first off, check /etc/inittab and see if you have a vgetty set up to
respawn on ttyS0.  The line will look something like:

	7:2345:respawn:/sbin/vgetty ttyS0

(the "7" before the first colon may be some other one- or two-character
label).  If you do, that's why vgetty is being set up on ttyS0--the
inittab is telling init to respawn vgetty on it.

You also have to have vgetty lines in /etc/inittab for the other modems:

	m1:2345:respawn:/sbin/vgetty ttyACM0
	m2:2345:respawn:/sbin/vgetty ttyACM1

Note that any editing of /etc/inittab must be done with EXTREME care!
If you are going to edit it, MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF IT FIRST!  If you
screw it up, your system may not be bootable any more except into single
user mode (where you can replace the screwed-up version with the
original).  Also, init must be restarted by the "telinit q" command (run
as root) or by rebooting to make changes to /etc/inittab effective.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -