Re: Checking the integrity of the file system

Gene Heskett wrote:
Paul Smith wrote:
On 7/14/06, Eric Donkersloot <eric.donkersloot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You could boot the system in single user mode and check the file system
manually or you could reboot the machine with 'shutdown -rF now'

Thanks, Eric. I have just run the command 'shutdown -rF now'. How can
I now check whether my file system is not corrupted? The point is that
I do not see the result of  'shutdown -rF now'...

Paul

Thats a root only command for starters, and it should have made the machine reboot, during which the fsck on the file systems would have been done, however you may have to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to remove the 'rhgb' from the kernels boot command line before you would see anything because it would otherwise be hid behind a graphic and all you would see is a longer bootup time. rhgb is the work of somebody trying to make it more like a (spit) windows experience. Its a bad idea. We want to KNOW what its doing while booting.

RHGB falls back to text mode on any warnings or error messages including fsck process. So your comment is misleading.

Rahul