Re: DejaVu fonts - Not 108% - Feedback.

Le vendredi 14 juillet 2006 à 14:34 +0100, Albert Graham a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I installed this fonts a week or so ago and have found one major problem
> which has caused my no end of problems.
>
> The number 0 is too similar to the number 8 (0808080808) the reason for
> this is there is a slash going thru the 0 making it look the same (to
> me). this in tern has caused me not to spot lots of typos, e.g.
> 192.160.0.1 should have been 192.168.0.1, but on my screen I could
> hardly tell the difference until up really close!
>
> I use a rather large font size (14 pt) so I assume these type of typos
> are harder to spot with small font sizes.
>
> Did you spot the typo in the subject line ?

Yes,

> Any comments ?

The slash is there to distinguish between O and 0 in the monospace font.
It's an explicit requirement for a font which may be used in terminals,
software IDEs and other technical contexts.

In non-monospace families it's possible to get without it, since O is
then wider than 0. In monospace it's the only possible choice.

I suspect 0 was one of the most audited glyphs when Vera was originally
released, as many monospace fonts are totally unusable for tech-speak
because they don't distinguish 0 and O (and applications do care about
the difference)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot