Re: Init.d not starting processes at boot up

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 15:31 -0400, Bill Habermaas wrote:
> I have run across an anomoly with FC5 not starting processes at boot
> time.  I have Apache and MySQL installed and although they have
> scripts in /etc/init.d, they do not start when the system is booted.
> If I go into /etc/init.d and start them manually, they start without
> any problem.  I also have FC5 on a laptop with the same software and
> everything starts as expected.
>
> Is there something else somewhere that I need to tweak to get these to
> start automagically?
What is the output of "chkconfig --list mysqld" & "chkconfig --list
httpd" ?

If they show something like this
  [jeff@raptor ~]$ chkconfig --list mysqld
  mysqld       0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off
then you will need to run an additional command
  "chkconfig mysqld on"
which will set the daemon to start at boot time.

You can do the same from the menu
  system -> administration -> server settings -> services
which will open up the system-config-services panel and will display the
list of installed services and their current setting.  If the box beside
the service name is checked (httpd & mysqld) then it is already set to
start in the current run level.  If it is not already checked then
checking it will reconfigure that service to start in the current run
level.