Re: FC5 boot process, sendmail and sm_client???

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 23:51 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My fedora 5 installation is working fine except some annoying boot
> time. During boot, when it reaches the part of starting sendmail it
> takes about 2 minutes and another 1 minute for the sm_client. Well I
> have nothing against it but my boot process seems to take forever. By
> the way what is this "sm_client" thing?  I am not intending to use any
> mail server so is it safe to turn off the sendmail? Will this affect
> other programs? and is it ok to turn off "sm_client" and how?

I run FC5 on my laptop with sendmail disabled on boot and no sm_client.
Actually, I've disabled sendmail on every desktop installation of Fedora
that I can remember.

IMHO sendmail is necessary only if you want to run a mail server. If you
are just running Fedora as a desktop OS, sendmail is still used by
certain applications, such as logwatch (I think) to send email
notifications and reports to user root. Other applications such as mdadm
(for RAID systems) and fetchmail also use it.

For me, I don't see the need to run sendmail because I don't have RAID
on my laptop, I don't use fetchmail and I get annoyed by email reports
to root (for my laptop -- not my servers!). None of the applications I
use on a daily basis have been impacted in any way. I still send and
receive email (using an external SMTP server) with Evolution, use
OpenOffice for my reports, documents, spreadsheets, etc., and use
Firefox for browsing.

Hope this helps !

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur