Re: [solved] Re: stuck on "Enter runlevel:" after update

BB Cao wrote:
Just think it might be helpful for other hypothetical newbies like myself.

I rebooted the system with the rescue CD. (Actually, I mysteriously failed to boot even on the rescue CD several times before finally got there.) I then created a file named inittab by copying from inittab.rpmsave, both files are at /etc.
And it works.

Best,
 BC

This problem seems to be caused by yum removing packages before upgrading. Saving the important files as .rpmsave instead of how it should update. Reports showed that this happened mostly when doing updates which also pull in the kernel.

What should happen is no package should be marked as remove. The package should only be updated followed by a cleanup. This was brought to my realization in the thread reference from the test list.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-July/msg00152.html

I'm running development and am not seeing this problem. I did comment on it and was enlightened by members from the list that are referenced in the thread.

I'd run
rpm -qV initscripts
on that package in order to see if any other items are missing or improperly renamed from the package.

Jim

--
"Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense."