Re: Grub failed error 22 - UPDATED

Philippe wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 20:26 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Philippe wrote:
>
>> Does /boot/grub/device.map correspond to your picture of things?
>>
>> It sounds to me as though grub got confused about the different disks,
>> and installed in the MBR of the new disk.
>> You could try running "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda"
>> with the new disk removed.
> [root@localhost ~]# grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
> Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
> Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
> fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
>
> (fd0)   /dev/fd0
> (hd0)   /dev/hda
> (hd1)   /dev/hdb
> (hd2)   /dev/hdd
>
> After disk, I cannot even boot with the CD. I had a mini (Ubuntu) rescue
> install which did the trick. I will edit the device map as before, with
> only the hd0 line.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be a grub expert!

Your symptoms suggest to me that you installed Fedora on your new disk
(which you have now removed),
together with the files in /boot/grub/ required by grub .

However, it may be more complicated than that ...

Incidentally, if that was the situation you might have been able
to boot from the hard disk if you had told the BIOS
to change the boot disk order
(by entering the BIOS when you boot).

Incidentally, if you now get the grub prompt
(even without the new disk)
it might be interesting to try giving grub commands,
starting by typing "c" (for command line).

You might have a "conversation" along the following lines

        grub> root (hd0,1)
        grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16 root=/dev/hda5
        grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.16.img
        grub> boot

You'd have to change the linux versions, of course -
grub is quite good at looking for files,
eg completing the line if you say

        grub> kernel /vmlin<TAB>

> By the way, I am burning a nen DVD Fedora 5 ;-)

That should find any Fedora systems on your machine.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366