Re: Speaking of fonts...

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le mardi 11 juillet 2006 à 13:11 +0930, Tim a écrit :

But the printer or its device-specific driver knows how wide/tall a sheet
of paper is and the DPI in any mode is fixed.  So it's easy for the
printer or driver to know how many dots are in a point.

Can we not preset the same information into X?  I know you can configure
the Gimp, and Mozilla (at least older versions), so it knew how many
centimetres across the screen used how many pixels.  Surely it's not too
hard to configure X, itself, with a "my screen is x by y cms where the
display is actually drawn" when setting it up.  (Remembering that with
PCs, a 17" monitor is a useless description, it measure the entire tube,
not the usable part of it.  And we have width and height scan controls
on most CRTs.)

$ xdpyinfo

screen #0:
 dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (431x272 millimeters)
 resolution:    99x98 dots per inch

Mine laptop reports:

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (347x260 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch

But that's wildly wrong. A 14" LCD at 1024x768 has about 91x91 DPI and is about 284x213 mm. The measurements given are for a 17" screen.

In xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Monitor0"
       VendorName   "Belinea"
       ModelName    "10 20 35W"
       DisplaySize  434        272

(only because the dcc-autoprovided size is not as precise as I'd like it
to be)

Regards,

--
		Matthew Saltzman