Re: CDROM drive on Apple Ibook running FC5

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>        This may sound kind of silly, but I've got an Apple Ibook, that I
> replaced OS X on with FC5. My question is, how do you open the optical
> drive in FC5 so you can insert a disk? I've been using a paper clip, but
> surely there's way to open it in FC5. Does anyone by chance know how?
> Thanks
> Jim

If the drive is symlinked to /dev/cdrom, then eject will open it. If
it is not, then the "eject <device>" form will be needed. You can
also close it using the "eject -t" or "eject -t <device>" command.

The eject command normally works with any removable device that
supports software eject. For mounted devices, you can use the mount
point instead of the device. Eject lets you unmount and open the
device with one command. It will also do some other handy stuff,
like let you turn on auto-eject, or change slots on multi-slot drives.

Mikkel