Re: yum db lossage

On 7/10/06, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> The yum db just killed itself on my x86_64 fc5 box.
>
>    [root@arbol ~]# yum list
>    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
>    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run data
>    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30977)
>
> I then found some advice via google to rebuild the db so I did:
>
>       /bin/rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
>       rpm --initdb
>       rpm --rebuilddb
>         chown rpm:rpm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
>
> That sort of got things hobbling along, but now livna doesn't work.
>
>      ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/Null/x86_64g/repodata/repomd.xml
>
> It looks like the "fc5" that goes between "fedora" and "x86_64" is
> missing.  I take it some part of the db didn't get totally rebuilt?
> Do I need to somehow stuff the "fc5" release name into the db by hand?

Is your fedora-release package still OK?

$ rpm -qi fedora-release

Paul.

I a afraid that after
   rpm --initdb
his rpm database is empty... From man rpm

  REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
      The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is

      rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root DIRECTORY]

      Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to  rebuild  the
      database indices from the installed package headers.

The only way to get a list of installed packages I know of is
to look into the file /var/log/rpmpkgs , generated every night by cron.
Then OP could try restore his rpm database by hand, using --justdb
option of rpm command.

V.Rudenko
--
lambda is the ultimate