Re: abiword with chinese

Yuandan Zhang wrote:

>     I have just installed abiword and have no problem to compose in both
>     Simplified and Traditional Chinese as long as I select the
>     appropriate font.
>

> I installed abiword, and start abiword as
> export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
> abiword
> (my default LANG is en_AU.UTF-8)
>
> The abiword windows (such as File Edit View etc)  were tarnslated into
> chinese. when I open a chinese MS document, chinese word are displayed
> as small circles, english display is ok.  if i copy these texts into
> gedit, evolution mailer, it displays right contents.
> please share me advices

Yes, it seems abiword since it doesn't have fonts like PMingLiu (I work
mostly in Traditional Chinese) will default to Times New Roman and that
font doesn't have glyphs for Chinese.

If you highlight the small circles and change the font to an appropriate
font for zh_CN (probably AR PL ShanHeiSun) I think it will be OK.

FWIW, I do all my work with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 but I think you will find
the same results.

Ed