Re: Problem configuring multifunction pcmcia modem card in FC5

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 17:49 -0400, "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
<mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:43:24 -0500
> From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Problem configuring multifunction pcmcia modem card in
> 	FC5
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Stanley A. Klein wrote:
> > I need to configure the modem part of a pcmcia multifunction
> > ethernet/modem card for my laptop.  FC5 appears to correctly identify
> > most parameters but incorrectly identifies the modem part as an ethernet
> > device, eth1.
> >
> > Here are the relevant parts of /etc/sysconfig/hwconf:
> >
> > -
> > class: NETWORK
> > bus: PCMCIA
> > detached: 0
> > device: eth1
> > driver: serial_cs
> > desc: "3Com Corporation 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III LAN+Modem PC Card"
> > vendorId: 0101
> > deviceId: 0562
> > function: 1
> > slot: 1
> > -
> >
> > -
> > class: NETWORK
> > bus: PCMCIA
> > detached: 0
> > device: eth2
> > driver: 3c589_cs
> > desc: "3Com Corporation 3C562D/3C563D EtherLink III LAN+Modem PC Card"
> > network.hwaddr: 00:60:97:ee:c6:fb
> > vendorId: 0101
> > deviceId: 0562
> > function: 0
> > slot: 1
> >
> > The system is correctly identifying the driver for the modem side of he
> > card.  I may have helped get to this point by adding
> >
> > card "3Com 3c562/3c563 Ethernet/Modem"
> >   manfid 0x0101, 0x0562
> >   bind "3c589_cs" to 0, "serial_cs" to 1
> >
> > to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts as indicated in the material at
> > pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.
> >
> > The problem is that the device eth1 on the modem side of the card
> > appears to be interfering with my ability to configure the ppp
> > connection in the Network Configuration tool.  The tool tells me there
> > are no modems available and does not let me correct the eth1 to
> > something like ppp0, which is what it should be.
> >
> > I tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconf but it appears to be automatically
> > generated at boot time.
> >
> > How do I get FC5 to correctly identify the dialup modem part of the
> > card?
> >

> > Stan Klein
> >
> The modem part of the card will not be eth0. That is strictly the
> Ethernet part of the card. I would expect the modem part of the card
> to appear as a serial port, and you would have to specify the serial
> port as part of the setup. If it is a hardware morem, then I would
> expect it at something like /dev/ttyS2 or /dev/ttyS4, but it depends
> on your hardware.
>
> Mikkel
> --

The modem part of the card should not show up as eth1, but the
configuration system is doing just that.  The system is detecting the
card, assigning a serial driver to the modem, but declaring it to be an
ethernet device.

In my view there are several possibilities:

1.  Some configuration file I am supposed to create to tell the system
how to configure the card.  I noticed some alias statements
in /etc/modprobe.conf related to the card, including one that aliases
the serial driver serial_cs to eth1.  I tried placing a file in
modprobe.d with a statement aliasing serial_cs to ppp0, but that didn't
help.

2.  Some database with an error in it referenced by the configuration
software.

3.  A bug in the pcmcia hardware detection and/or the network
configuration software.  I've tried to look at the code in kudzu.py and
in system-config-network to see if I can find a bug.  If there is a bug,
that's where it probably would be, and I see a lot of relevant
statements, but the code is too complicated for me to easily understand.

Stan Klein