Re: Where can I find this firmware file?

Patrick wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 23:44 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
[snip]
So lets refresh what I'm supposed to have in my /etc/modprobe.conf:
Currently its:
#options ndiswrapper if_name=wlan0
alias wlan0 bcm43xx
alias eth1 tg3
#alias wlan0 bcm43xx

which is obviously wrong as thats from when I was trying to make the kernel driver work.

Indeed. If you want to use ndiswrapper change this by commenting out the
alias wlan0 bcm43xx line:
# alias wlan0 bcm43xx

And removing the comment from options ndiswrapper if_name=wlan0 line:
ndiswrapper if_name=wlan0

Now add the bcm43xx module to the blacklist by adding it to the file:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist with:
blacklist bcm43xx

Now only ndiswrapper is used for your Broadcom wifi chip and not the
bcm43xx.

Before you continue, make sure the bcm43xx module is unloaded so stop
your network (service network stop) and unload the module (modprobe -r
bcm43xx). Next load the ndiswrapper module(modprobe -v ndiswrapper) and
check the output of /var/log/messages if all went well. I'm assuming you
already successfully installed the proper driver with ndiswrapper as
described on the ndiswrapper website.

If you use wpa_supplicant make sure you specify the proper settings
in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf:

INTERFACES="-iwlan0"
DRIVERS="-Dwext"

And comment out the rest.

For me this setup does not work with NetworkManager. But I use a
workaround: I add my AP to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and
start wpa_supplicant with e.g. (in one line) wpa_supplicant -w -iwlan0
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then I start (as root) wpa_gui (install wpa_supplicant-gui rpm first if
it's missing) to check if it can find my AP and actually connects to it.
Finally I do ifup <wifi device>. If that's configured correctly it
should get an IP address and off I go.

If in the above, you can see why its all gone to hell in a little red wagon, I'd appreciate a url or pointers on howto fix the current 100% crashomatic setup.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick

At this point I've done all of the above, and have done an ifconfig eth0
down, I'll save this and then try an ifconfig wlan0 up to see if it all
finds that famous little red wagon again.

Ok, did that, and ifconfig reports that it is indeed up, and using the same IP address as previously assigned to eth0. Now to see if I actually have a connection. kwifimanager says its there, and on the right channel (6).

--
Cheers, Gene