Re: Skype Handset

Claude Jones wrote:
On Saturday July 08 2006 10:35 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
The major side effect of the shutdown is the lack of evening lighting
automation, the missus likes to have the porch lights on when she comes
in from bowling.  But she got used to it. :)

Now, that's interesting. How do you set that up, Gene?

Small scripts that run heyu and xtend from crontab entries. I setup the xtend stuff so when I go to the basement to play pool, I can take an x10 keypad along and run the music piped in from the computer from down there. None of its magic unless your technological level is bronze age. :)

For the lighting, I broke the day into 3 pieces, daytimes when it ignores the output of an eagle-eye, evenings it turns on the christmas lighting from about dusk to whenever she is expected to be in for the night ignoring the eagle-eye then too, and a nightime mode where a signal from the eagle-eye turns them on for about 5 minutes, either as an obvious motion detector response, or for Dee to fish her keys out & find the lock in case she out late for cigarettes.

Each script kills its predecessor, and then sets up how its to run till the next script kills it. Bash, the universal language.

--
Cheers, Gene