Re: printing on home network [SOLVED}]

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 15:55 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> As many suspected all I needed to do to get printing on my home network
> solved is to fix the contents of the cupsd.conf file and make a tweak in
> the clients.conf file of one of my machines that has its own local
> printer.

Were you trying to get automatic browsing working?  I can't remember how
that thread progressed.

I've been doing it as you've outlined above for a while now.  I just got
browsing working again over the last day or so.  Brief summary:

Returning all clients to the original unmodified CUPS config files
(client.conf, cupsd.conf, and printer.conf files, at least), and
appropriately (*) setting up the server files, got it working.

It seems that clients, by default, look to themselves as the CUPS server
(their client.conf file doesn't specify a server, which means they use
localhost, by default).  Their own CUPS server, if unconfigured, finds
another CUPS server on the LAN that is broadcasting that it's got
printers to print with, and prints through them.

* That's a fun one to try and define...

I read messages from the public lists.