Re: mIRC setup

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 12:16 -0700, bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> this is sort of off topic..
>
> is there anyone here who's setup/used mIRC to communicate using the IRC
> channels...
>
> i've setup (or tried to) the app to use irc.freenode.net and it doesn't seem
> to connect...
>
> for that matter, selecting any of the other servers doesn't seem to connect
> either...
>
> as far as i can tell, the port shouldn't be blocked...
>
> any thoughts/comments/etc...

There's xchat for one, which I use currently on FC5. There's also the Firefox plugin, Chatzilla, which I've tried as well.

If you're using xchat, try this:

open the Xchat -> Server List menu, select the Freenode network, and click the Edit button.

in the Dialog box, pick which server you would prefer (I being in the US, chose irc.us.freenode.net), and click Edit again, there.

change it to read, eg., irc.us.freenode.net/8001, and click the checkbox below, "connect to selected server only", making sure that it is the selected one

then back out and connect.

Some changes were made recently and I can't remember where I heard about the 8001 port being preferable, and can't find any mention of it on freenode's website at the moment.

However, try that and see if it works for you. If not, make sure that iptables is logging information on dropped packets and look there for possible clues.