Re: benq X805 wireless mouse erratic

Hello Tim,

> I have just purchased a Benq X805 wireless keyboard and mouse combo.
> The keyboard works great. However, the mouse behaves erratically.

I still see the same, sporadically, in FC4.  You'll touch the mouse, and
it'll go wild.  Luckily, mine only seems to do it for a moment, not
continuously as it used to with RH9.

What's the brand and type (PS/2 vs USB) of mouse you're using? Does it have a wheel?

I'd, long since, come to the conclusion that there's something screwy
with how Linux handles mice.  No amount of changing settings, mice, or
motherboards, made any difference.  The situation is slightly better
with USB mice (it happens far less often, but still does).

For my part I thought mouse support had become rock solid around FC1 or FC2, when I could successfully use an MS mouse with IMPS/2 protocol. My current experience forces me to review this assessment somewhat, but I don't think Linux drivers are that far off. My current guess is that they're not tolerant to variations of protocol implementations.

At this point I can't say the root problem is a buggy Benq mouse protocol, a flawed driver in linux, or both. I will try to prove either one during the week-end. In any case, it looks a bug report is about to be filed.