Re: I have a monitor and/or video card problem on FC5

Jack Gates wrote:
> I have been running FC2 since it was initially released.  Only now have I
> decided to upgrade to FC5.  I was new to Linux when I set up FC2.  I have not
> set up or upgraded to a new OS since that time.  I am still a newbee to
> setting up and configuring Linux and Fedora.
>
> I cannot get the GUI to display.  The system boots up at the command prompt
> and asks for the login at the same.
>
> I have a ViewSonic VG800 monitor and an ATI 9600 Pro video card.  The mother
> board is an ABIT IS7
>
> The installation could only be done using "linux text", I figured then I was
> going to have a problem with the GUI.
>
> I had a similar problem after the installation when I installed FC2.
>
> Here is what my xorg.conf file has in it
>
> Section "Monitor"
>  Identifier "Monitor0
>  VenderName "Monitor Vender"
>  ModelName "VG800-2"
>  DisplaySize 360  290
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync Values to use DDC:
>  HoriSync 30.0 - 83.0
>  VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
>  Option  "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>  Identifier "Videocard0"
>  Driver  "radeon"
>  VenderName "Videocard vendor"
>  BroadName "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]"
> EndSection
>
> I was not able to find anything on the Fedora site and Google did not turn up
> much.
>
> My FC2 install has worked fine since I got passed this problem about two years
> or so ago.  I was able to get the GUI to actually work during the install of
> FC2.  I had to tell FC2 to use a generic monitor and video card for the GUI
> to work on boot up of the OS.  This time I did not get any option that would
> let me do that.  Can some one help by telling me where I can find the
> solution to get the GUI working?  I have no idea where to look or what to do
> to resolve this.
>
> Thanks for any help,

in your /etc/inittab file, look for the following:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

if your installation has "id:3:initdefault:" you're booting into text mode.
--
Anthony
http://messinet.com