Re: Lock homepage in firefox for normal users?[Scanned]

On 05/07/06, Chris Bradford <chrisbradford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I'm going to experiment with the above in /etc/profile.d/ tomorrow when
I'm at work. I assume this value would then be reset every time the user
logs into he workstation.

As an enterprise environment we lie to have control over this kind of
setting, maybe its worth putting in a feature request for the firefox
developers? Not sure what the demand for something similar is... I've
setup group policies to lockdown the homepage of our windows users, but
obviously, this can't be done for Linux users.

Thanks again,

-Chris :)

Are you really sure that this is nessaccary? No offence, but it seems
rather control-freakish to not allow a user to change his homepage.
It's not a security issue. Maybe in an educational setting I could see
it, but not in a work environment.

On that note, it may be logical that someone over at Edubuntu has done
this. You might want to take a peek over there. In addition to the
learning software, Edubuntu is remarkably easy to remotely administer,
right down to smallest details. I'd image that homepage locking would
be included, knowing only the spirit of Edubuntu and having never used
it myself.

Worth a look.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com