Re: New Motherboard Install

On 7/4/06, James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don Maxwell wrote:
> Physically, I plan to change both the MB and the CPU chip.  However
> the old chip was a P4 and the new chip is a P4.  The speed and some
> other details will obviously be different.  I am choosing to go this
> route instead of making the jump to a AMD 64.  I am not ready
>
> Fry's special today is a ECS P4M800PRO-M w/Intel P4 506.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/body_view_p4.htm has a
tick against the 506 and "Intel(r) EM64T", which is what Intel calls their
version of AMD-64.

It's a 64 bit chip (which will also run 32 bit OSes fine, just as an
AMD-64 chip will).

Well THAT'S a surprise!  The link above and further research indicate
that this is a 64-bit capable processor.

The Fedora Hardware Architecture Specific Notes indicate one of the
CPU requirements for the 64-bit flavor as "Intel processors with Intel
Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T)."

BTW, without installing anything addtional, GKrellM found that the CPU
supports temperature readings and indicates that it is running along
nicely at 86°F.

Thanks for noticing and alerting me!