Re: Configuring GRUB to boot FC-5-i386-DVD.iso

On Sunday 02 July 2006 15:52, phil brogan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently running FC 1 and want to install FC 5.  I successfully
> downloaded the FC 5 DVD install image FC-5-i386-DVD.iso, and sha1sum
> successfully matches.
>
> Here's my fstab (the FC-5-i386-DVD.iso file resides on the /dev/hdd
> volume):
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
> /dev/hdd                /hdd                    ext3    defaults        1 1
>
> Here's my grub.conf:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb1
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
>     root (hd0,0)
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>     initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
>
> How do I tell GRUB to boot from the file /hdd/phil/FC-5-i386-DVD.iso
> (where /hdd is the mount point of /dev/hdd)?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> - Phil

Hi Phil. I'm a bit confused about your situation.  You've downloaded the .iso
for FC5, correct?

Presuming that you have a DVD writer, I presume that you have burnt the
the .iso to a writeable DVD disc, using K3b, or something.

You cannot boot a downloaded .iso that resides on a harddrive partition. it
first has to be burned to a DVD, and then FC5 needs to be installed using
your newly burned DVD via the DVD ROM drive. Your BIOS needs to be set for
booting from CDROM as well.

I don't know if you are wanting to upgrade FC1 to FC5. This is a very big
jump, and may well not succeed.

It might be better if you have free space on your harddrives to create a dual
boot install. FC1, and FC5.

Post back, as we need to have a bit more information.

Nigel.