Re: Skype Handset

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 28/06/06, Fred Lackey <fred.lackey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback on a handset or headset that has had
success with Skype on more than just Windows (either Mac or Linux)?

Here are the two I am trying to decide between...

        NEXOTEK P-600S "Skype Smart Phone"
        http://www.nexotek.com/p600s.html
        - Claims to work well on Linux, Mac, and Windows

        Simply Phone P1K-1
http://www.simplyphone.lu/index.php?t=prod_detail&pid=21&language=EN http://us.accessories.skype.com/direct/skypeusa/itemdetl.jsp?prod=2853

I generally travel with two laptops... a Mac PowerBook and a Toshiba
Linux (FC5 / Ubuntu 5 dual boot).  I'd like to use a USB handset
interchangeably between the two machines.  USR has one that I was
looking at but [of course] it only plays nice with Windows.

Thanks, in advance.

I was going to stay out of this thread and jsut follow it, but seeing
how nobody answered, have you contacted the companies that manufacure
the headsets that you're looking at? Even if they don't have
information on linux compatbility, the very fact that you write to
them will alert them to the fact that they cannot afford to ignore
linux users. If you have written to them, what were their responses?

Dotan Cohen
http://ie-only.com

Logitek makes a neat little headset (dual phones and a boom mic, overhead band) that works ok, but the mic boom has too much curve in it causing it to stick the mic against your face near the corner of your mouth. Obviously that tells the other person how many hours its been since you shaved, not a desirable side effect. I tried slowly bending it outward, but by the time I'd made it stay where I wanted it, which was about an inch from the corner of my mouth, it had started to buckle the plastic boom in a couple of places. But its been that way for 2 weeks now, and appears to be ready to do it for however long it takes to destroy the cordage, none of which is very 'heavy duty' on these generic headsets. Typical $19 headset, got this one at the local radio shack after I'd broken the cord of my previous RCA branded version in my feet while getting up from this desk too many times. I liked the RCA better, but this one has lasted longer. There is no use of paying an extra 20 bucks for one of these things just because its got a sign on the package saying its "Skype compatible". Skype isn't that fussy.. Nor is ekiga or wengophone. I have a hell of a lot more trouble getting a confirmation message back from either ekiga or wengophone because verizon is apparently filtering mail from the competition. Bastards. I'd change providers, but they're the only $%^&*() game in town...

--
Cheers, Gene