Re: yum dumb? Re-installes rpms you specifically remove

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 23:28 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 7/2/06, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My Dell laptop hates the new kernel-2.6.17, so I remove it with yum
> > remove kernel-2.6....
>
> Okay.
>

> > Then I go about my business and find that the yum cron job has run and
> > re-downloaded and re-installed that kernel.  Goddam.
>
> What else would you expect ?
>

> > Then I can put exclude=kernel-2.6.17* in /etc/yum.conf, but the
> > problem just starts there.  When yum runs, it finds updates for kernel
> > modules on atrpms (for ipw3945 wireless) and livna (video card), and
> > yum then fails because it cannot install those modules because it
> > cannot install the new kernel.  So I have to go back into
> > /etc/yum.conf and exclude some specific versions of those modules.
> >

> That's exactly what it should do. You should just exclude al kernel
> related packages, or let yum be and use grub to boot to the kernel
> that works for you,

Or alternatively, do not use the auto update feature of yum/fedora.

I do all my updates about once a week manually and I can see when it is
trying to do something I don't want and take action *before* the update
occurs.  I believe many do that to avoid the situation described here.

> > What a hassle.
> >
> > Seems to me that if a person manually removes something in yum, the
> > system should respect that.
>
> That would require special rules, and I would not consider such rules
> to be intuitive.

The rules may not be intuitive, but it is reasonable to expect that when
one package is excluded yum should automatically exclude things which
depend on that package.  I would think it should be fairly simple to add
a change in handling, since yum already has a list of the 'depends on'
items for each package (or otherwise it could not locate and install the
needed dependencies.)
At the present it cannot do that. In the future it should be able to at
least present a list of packages that are blocked like this and ask what
to do (install, ignore, etc.).