Re: No GUI

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:35:06 -0400
"Edmund C. Daulton" <itt03907583@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am new to Linux and want to install in graphical mode but my display does
> not work properly.  The installer is able to identify my graphics card but
> for the monitor it comes up "unknown type."

You may not be able to run the graphical installer.

The text mode installer is very simple and not all that much different than the
graphical installer, except for the graphics, of course.

Type this at the first prompt that you get after booting the install disk:

linux text

Then away you go.

After you have the operating system installed you can modify the monitor
section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to match the capabilities of your monitor (if
required) and have a graphical desktop.

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ http://theatre.sasktelwebsite.net