Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 18:02:00 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:

> But I did the nvidia installation as instructed in
> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#nvidia
>
> I checked if kmod-nvidia is really installed or not through rpm and it
> says
> it is installed.
> ------------------
> $ rpm -q kmod-nvidia
> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.17_1.2139_FC5
> ----------------------
>
> Now I am confused.

what you should be paying attention to is the installation instructions
from the livna repo instead: http://rpm.livna.org/ also note that the
news post from March 29th points out that the steps necessary have
changed. (hopefully they'll get around to updating or appending the
original instructions to reflect the change)

This having been said, I should warn you that with the current
kmod-nvidia I experienced quite a bit of error WRT memory corruption
that reflected back into swap, which reflected back into what actually
got onto / -- I wound up having to manually fsck /, redo my swap
partition, and uninstall kmod-nvidia, after which my problems went
away.

Fortunately I was able to get quite a bit of debuginfo that will get
forwarded on to the lovely nvidia folks with a pound of thanks for not
open-sourcing their drivers so things like this could get caught sooner.
=P

my advice: live without kmod-nvidia for now. It's *not* ready for
prime-time; not because of livna but because of nvidia themselves.

Many thanks to Mike Harris for straightening me on this, and for
assistance with the recovery process. Cheers dude, where do I send the
beer? :)