Re: Hardware Migration with FC4

Rodrigo F. Rogerio writes:

I hope someone may be able to give me an Idea in what to do here, I have
a web server that was installed originally on a dual P3 with IDE drives,
I am trying to transferred to a VM on a GSX server and everything worked
well and good. Same specifications "sort of" smp with IDE drives.
My problem now is... I am trying to move this machine to a VM on a ESX
server with SCSI drives because ESX won't create IDE hard disks, I've
fixed the boot loader and everything but I receive this message every
time I try to boot.

SCSI drivers are not compiled into the kernel, they're modules that must be added to initrd, and loaded by nash.

mkinitrd reads /etc/modules.conf, and picks off the module names that get aliased to scsi_hostadapter*, then adds them to the initrd image.

What you need to do is to identify which kernel module supports your SCSI controller, temporary append "alias scsi_hostadapter <MODULE>" to your /etc/modules.conf, and run mkinitrd. You should be able to use the resulting initrd image to boot off a SCSI hard drive.