Re: Torrent client suggestions

On 6/30/06, Roo <oscosc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:28:49 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good torrent client? I use Fedora Core 5. The the
> python Bittorrent is fast and light, but gives me corrupted video files
> when its done. Azerus give me perfect files, but it sucks the life out
> of dev/testing box to the point where the display takes minutes to
> wakeup after it goes to sleep from lack of use.
>
> Suggestions of something inbetween would be nice.
>
> Thank you.

Azureus is your typical Java RAM hogger. It's a nice client with lots of
good plugins (and really good ones are in short supply on Linux), but it
just horrible for RAM.

The only way I've found to make it tolerable (just) on my 512Mb machine is
to set it up the way I like it using the GUI first:

1. autoscan a directory and autoimport any torrent files found there.

2. Set up firefox to save torrent files in that directory

3. Set up the RSS feed plugin to autodownload stuff I want, when it
appears.

4. Run Azureus headless: java -jar azureusjarfile.jar --ui=console

That makes it bearable... but dear lord... someone somewhere needs to slap
some sense in the Java designers.

Well it works 10 fold better now on my 800 MHz and 256MB of ram spare
machine. Gcj seemed to have some issues.

--
To be updated...