Re: Creating bootable zip disk

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
As someone else pointed out, there is an image on the install CD/DVD
that is designed for pen drives, but should work just fine on a ZIP
disk. The main difference from the normal ZIP disk format is that
partition 1 is used instead of partition 4. (I have no idea why
Iomega  used partition 4 instead of partition 1.)

Just as a side note - the original Iomega Linux tools used partition
1 if the disk was ext2 formatted, and partition 4 if it was FAT
formatted. I guess this was to keep the DOS/Windows tools from
trying to read them.

Mikkel

Back when I installed my first Zip-100 drive, I was told the Iomega's choice of partition 4 resulted from their need to sell disks that could be formatted for DOS/Windows or Mac. Since I have never owned a Mac, I can't say from experience, but I could buy disks preformatted for Mac/OS cheaper than FAT disks, so I did, and reformatted them as needed. Sometimes I repartitioned them and sometimes not, depending on how much time I had and what kind of mood I was in, but they worked about the same either way.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn