Re: FC4 and Java...

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 24 June 2006 21:19, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, bruce wrote:
hi..

Can someone please tell me whay it's apparently difficult to install java
sdk on FC4...
Sun's licensing terms preclude distribution by third parties.

it appears that i have to do ...
http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4

or, is there a rpm package that i can get my hands on...
That *is* the RPM package.  It's just that you have to build it yourself.

The JPackage RPMs are designed to integrate properly with Fedora.  The Sun
RPMs are broken.  The Sun .bin distribution doesn't integrate at all.  If
all you want is the browser plugin, it doesn't matter much, but if you are
doing anything more sophisticated than that, you definitely want to follow
the JPackage Way.

It looks scary at first, but it's really not that hard...

Matthew, I've been trying to get Azureus working, and it looks like java problems, so I tried to follow this. Version numbers have moved on, but I got the Sun package. I hit problems with finding the jpackage, though. I got as far as http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.7/generic/non-free/ but I can't find any package that looks to be right. Could you take a look and re-direct me, please?

Try my updated guide:
http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava

Paul.