Re: Dual Boot Problem in Fedora 5

Hi,

From: "Deepak Shrestha" <d88pak@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dual Boot Problem in Fedora 5
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:21:18 +0800

> I have windows xp in my first drive(master) and just installed fedora 5 in
> second drive (slave) but Grub is not installed. After long process of
> installation, it says the installation was successful and ask me to reboot.
> During reboot, it goes back to windows instead of first boot process. I
> tried to boot from boot disk and hope to fix by choosing upgrade option,
> which asked me to install the grub. I tried choosing option to write the
> boot loader in MBR with force LBA mode but still no luck. What's happening?
> Any Idea?

I had a same problem on the same environment. It seems something wrong
in the FC5 installer. I guess manual grub boot loader setup must be
required as follows.

    1. boot 'linux rescue' with FC5 install CD/DVD
    2. file system will be mounted in /mnt/sysimage
    3. 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
    4. 'cd /boot' and make sure all files are correct(i.e. grub.conf)
    5. launch grub command, and write grub boot loader in MBR manually

       # grub
        > root(hd1,0) <-- specify /boot partition ?
        > setup(hd0) <-- write boot loader record in hd0 MBR

I'm linux novice. So please take care above parameters.

good luck

// M. Iizuka