Re: After install kernel 2.6.17 some /dev/md- appear

Joao Batista Gomes de Freitas wrote:
Message: 9
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:08:34 +0200
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: After install kernel 2.6.17 some /dev/md- appear
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am in a similar situation. This is what I am running:

AMD 64 300+ ASUS A8N-E motherboard with nvidia sata controller.
The RAID BIOS support is enabled
I am using LVM and hardware RAID 0 with 2 sata HDs
FC5 686
After yuming to kernel 2.6.17 I get stuck at the same point and message.

Just a bit of semantics...nvidia RAID is not hardware RAID, it is software RAID implemented on the motherboard; usually referred to as "fakeraid". dmraid has handled fakeraid rather well recently, however kernel updates to 2.6.16 and now 2.6.17 each seem to have broken it in their own way. To update to 2.6.16, I installed the dmraid from development, dmraid -an and dmraid -ay (while booted on a fakeraid partition), and _then_ installed the new kernel. Had to manually add a GRUB entry, other than that it works fine. Haven't tried 2.6.17 on fakeraid yet since from this thread and the bugzilla on dmraid (search for dm-striped) it appears to have more issues.
-Dan