Re: Spam Filter

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 10:29 +0100, Samatason Ltd wrote:
Hi

What's the best approach to filtering out spam at server mailbox level? I am
running FC5 and SendMail...

Best Regards

Chris

There seems to be a sisagreement on this but I would try spamasasassin.
The program is isntalled but you can find installation configuration
instructions on the web.

Since sendmail runs procmail on each messgae it receives you can use
a .procmailrc script to run spamassassin and distribute your mail
(including the spam found) in to appropriate mail boxes.

Running spamassassin using a milter has the advantage that you can reject the spam during the SMTP transaction. So in the rare case where a legitimate message is mis-identified as spam, the sender gets to know that it wasn't delivered. You can't safely do that using procmail.

Paul.