Using FC5 X server with a vanilla Kernel

Hello,

I'm facing a strange problem... my machine is running FC5 on an AMD64
(Athlon 3800+), and I'm using the X server without problem when booting
Fedora Kernel 2.6.16-1.blah...

If I download from ftp.kernel.org a vanilla kernel (namely 2.6.16.X, and
2.6.17.x) and compile them using the configuration I'm using with my Fedora
Kernel, the machine boots fine, but when I start X, the screen stays black,
though it does enter a graphical mode.

Then, it is not possible to have an X display, or to go back to any text
console with Ctrl+Alt+Fx, I have to connect thru the network to reboot the
machine.

Is there something specific inside FC kernel source that could explain that ?

Regards,
Paul