Re: Intermittant Booting

On 6/25/06, pansy309@xxxxxxx <pansy309@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings

I recently installed FC5 on a dual boot system.  About 50% of the time when I boot it up, it goes cleanly through the boot process until it is ready to open the sign-in screen.  At that point the mouse pointer appears briefly, then the screen goes black.  About 30 sec later, a click can be heard from the monitor and the machine is locked up with a blank screen. Nothing short of pushing the power button will do anything.  When I do this, the hard drive will operate a bit and then it will shut down.  When I have to do this, the CMOS loads defaults.  I suppose that is caused by the unusual shutdown.  I have a Radeon 9000 video card and a Dell M781P monitor.  The other 50% of the time it boots up perfectly.

Does anyone know why, and if so, how can I fix it?

DAR

Hi DAR!

I would guess a bad CMOS battery or connections to the battery (the CMOS loading defaults on your shutdown is my hint).

0. Ok, this is in the box hardware stuff so remember to disconnect power to the box and everything associated.  Also remember that static builds by any contact with moving air (or any movement on such things as carpet or floors).  The easy way to "discharge" yourself is to keep in contact with metal of the case (remember - power is disconnected from the box and all of it's associated connections - work on a "free and clear" box).
1. Replace the battery.  (Since it is a battery I will not mention the parts about establishing good static equal potential before touching the part).
2. Make sure the connections are clean when you do (99% isopropyl alcohol (use technical grade - do not use "rubbing" alcohol it has skin softeners in it and leaves a residue) on swabs or a very dilute solution of dish cleaner in water - dry - rinse with distilled water -- all on swabs),  Check/clean the battery as well.  If you use the soap and water approach use a dust removing spray of compressed gas to evaporate any water residue before you apply battery or power.  Use as little of the soap water or rinse water as possible.
3. If you have them, use a memory test perhaps from a live CD and check out the memory thereby.
4. Check the power supply connections to everything ("snug" them) and give the cards and memory sticks a little "press" hug (see they are seated properly).  Nice to do on the rest of the connectors as well.

I am in the process of the study of the boot process.  I will respond more if I find something interesting in the last part of it.  My instinct is to check out the connections (hardware of course and software as well) to the video card (peek at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and also
look at dmesg, /var/log/messages, and /var/log/Xorg*.*.  Also, I know that if I boot my Ubuntu utility machine while the four port KVM switcher has the Keyboard Monitor (Video) and Mouse looking at my daughter's XP machine Ubuntu will not have it's chance to "talk" with the monitor and X defaults to a very low and cruddy resolution.  Check the connection to the monitor!.

Good Hunting!

Tod