Re: OT: Virtualisation of dual-boot partitions

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 11:00 +0200, J.L. Coenders wrote:

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

>From VMware Workstation Manual - ws55_manual.pdf
"Many users install VMware Workstation on a dual-boot or multiple-boot
computer so they can run one or more of the existing operating systems
in a virtual machine. If you are doing this, you may want to use the
existing installation of an operating system rather than reinstall it in
a virtual machine."

Note: VMware Workstation supports booting from physical disk partitions
only on IDE drives. Booting guest operating systems from physical SCSI
drives is not supported. For a discussion of the issues on a Linux host,
see Configuring Dual- or
Multiple-Boot SCSI Systems to Run with VMware Workstation on a Linux
Host on page 257.
Setting up a physical disk configuration for a virtual machine is more
complicated than using a virtual disk. Virtual disks are recommended
unless you have a specific need to run directly from a physical disk or
partition."

Hope this helps

John