Re: oprofile for i586 kernels?

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 07:32:20PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
 > On Wednesday, June 21, 2006 11:14 am, Jesse Barnes wrote:
 > > I use Fedora on a VIA EPIA that doesn't have support for cmov, so I'd
 > > like to see things continue to work.  Btw, on occasion when I
 > > upgrade, yum grabs the i686 version of openssl or some other package,
 > > which causes breakage.  Is there a way to override my arch so that
 > > yum only grabs i386 and i586 packages?
 >
 > It would also be nice if were oprofile enabled so I could more easily
 > find out why unnecessarily slow and bloated software is so slow and
 > bloated.

oprofile needs P6 style MSRs, it doesn't make sense to enable it on 586s.
The performance monitoring counters were introduced with the PPro for Intel
& athlon for AMD. The other vendors never implemented them (VIA still don't
to this day even in their 686 flavoured C3s).

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk