Audigy Drive MIDI port won't wake up from cold

For a long time last evening, I was unable to get any
signals from my MIDI keyboard to Qsynth via my second
MIDI port.  Eventually, I rebooted into Windows 2000,
to check that the physical link was okay.  Everything
checked out.  When I rebooted into FC5, everything
checked out there too.

I then went into `happy (dumb) bunny' mode, and played
a load of tunes.

This morning, I booted my system from cold, and I was
back to square one.  I have since performed a number
of reboots, and have concluded that Windows is
responsible for making my MIDI port work.  ("What...
the...")

Anyway, I'd like to fix this.  Where should I start?

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html