Re: yum upgrade FC4 -> FC5 finally "done"

Joe Klemmer wrote:

>> If no one hears from me within 3 days send a search party loaded down
>>  with lots of chocolate, pizza and Sprite (7-up will also do but no
>> Sierra Mist!)
>
> Ok, it was 4 days, 26 cans of Sprite and two Pizza Hut Pizzas but I'm
> back.  Oh, what fun it was, too.  I have a little quick "What happened
> and how I got past it" as well as a mini-review (more like a
> mega-complaint against Evolution) on my blog.  If anyone wants to know
> what happened with the upgrade and how I got through it just go to -
>
> http://x-nc.blogspot.com/
>
> I'll post a more detailed description of what happened here if anyone
> really wants to know (maybe for future reference).

I read your blog,
and I think you were incredibly lucky that your method -
installing all rpm's in various repositories with "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" -
actually worked.

I wonder if you ran "yum update" on your FC-4 system before you started?

I upgraded from FC-4 to FC-5 by installing fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm
and then running "yum update".
According to my diary for 2006/03/25:
I am presently upgrading martha to Fedora-5 "by yum";
that is, I downloaded fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm from
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/>
and installed it with "rpm -Uvh fedora-...",
and then gave the command "sudo yum update".
This downloaded 1021 rpm's, in 2--3 hours,
the Transaction Test took another 2 hours,
and the machine is currently upgrading in 1850 steps.

The "yum upgrade" finally ended after over 12 hours.
On re-booting, X failed.
It was clear from /var/log/Xorg.0.log
that there was a problem finding fonts.
Comparing /etc/X11/xorg.conf on martha and elizabeth,
I see that the new version has
        FontPath    "unix/:7100"
in place of the explicit FontPath's in martha's xorg.conf .
It says in the new xorg.conf that
"a font server independent of the X server is used to render fonts".

In any case, after making this change to xorg.conf
X came up (to my relief) on martha .

Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366